Friday 12 September 2014

Cubism - Madison Galloway

Cubism - Madison Galloway


Today in class be looked into cubism. Cubism is a movement of art pioneered by Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso in the early-20th-century. It is one of the most well-known influential art movements during the 20th century. Cubism is essentially the distortion of and image by breaking it up and resembles it in a creative and abstract way. Cubism artists create the artworks so they can be interpreted by the viewer in many different ways to increase the context.






The above image is one that I made from a photograph I took in December in Newyork about 10 months ago. In photoshop I broke the image up into lots of little squares. I enlarged some and decreased others to give different effects along with customary warping each layer. In this image although chaotic, I tried to add a tad or softness by warping and giving roundness/curves to each square. The theme of chaotic ness of the broken photograph ties is nicely withe chaotic roads in Newyork filed with hundreds of taxis.






The next cubism artwork I made was this portrait above. I still carried the idea of cubism in this one but executed it different. I kept the cubes with straight out edges and made each on bigger or smaller. Then I played around with the different types of screens that I put on over half of the cubes. I really like the overall effect as it is unusual and makes the viewer have to think about the curves of her face and body.


Other examples of cubism 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.